Saturday, October 28, 2017

Tyke Hike #45 - Lapham Peak - Trick or Treat on the Trail


Tonight, the Tyke Hike program took on a new adventure: a night hike. Though Mother Nature graciously provided just above freezing temperatures, eighteen hikers braved the chill to enjoy the spookiness of the woods at our inaugural Trick or Treat in the Trail.


Before the hikers arrived, I headed out to scout the trail for a few spots to place some sweet treats. While scouting, I came with in about fifteen yards of a decently sized buck. While I engaged in a staredown with him, I noticed another deer spronk away. Then, glancing around, I found myself in the middle of the largest deer herd I have ever seen. Twenty-seven deer. I am sure there were others I didn't even get a chance to count. I placed my last candy dish down and left the deer to their own devices.


Once the kids arrived, we hit the trail fully equipped with headlamps, flashlights, and glow bracelets. The first few candy stops were "freebies." The last two, the hikers had to "earn" their prize. To get the treat, I requested their scariest faces, their most evil laughs, and their best animal howl.


Though the hike was a bit shorter than usual, all seemed to have a nice time hiking and enjoying those treats. Maybe even the deer. When we got to the place where I had seen the herd just an hour or so before, the candy and dish were missing. I guess everyone (and everything) loves candy.


No comments:

Post a Comment