Saturday, August 1, 2020

Is It Worth It?

Starting an outdoor education program certainly has drawbacks.

When it first began, the fear of failure lingered until the program became established.

The stresses of risk and hazard assessment can be overwhelming.

Being the caretaker of the land takes hours (and dollars) away from other interests and opportunities.

I've been stung and bitten many times. I've lost blood, sweat, and tears in the process.

Colleagues have openly explained that they feel pressured into doing things they aren't comfortable with because of the success of the program.

The physical, mental, and emotional toll of starting a program is real. Very real.

So, is it worth it?


The included pictures and videos offer a small taste of what I am fortunate enough to call my classroom.

                                             

I get to experience children discovering nature.


I get to watch children express creativity, innovation, and imagination.


I get to see children grow academically, socially, physically, and emotionally while they play,


I get to learn and grow right along with the children I am honored to teach.

                                               

So, even with the fear of failure, exposure to risks and hazards, time away from other pursuits, and potential friction among colleagues, I ask again.

Is it worth it?


Without a doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment