Friday, July 17, 2020

Playful Professional Development

About six years ago, my educational evolution began when a student helped me realize that I needed to transform my teaching. That transformation reintroduced the power of play in my classroom and paved the way for the creation of the successful nature kindergarten program I coordinate in my public school today. Focused on my 4 P's philosophy (play-based, place-based, project-based, personalized) with foundations in emergent experiences with nature, citizen science, service learning, and community collaborations. my classroom shifted to a whole child approach and hasn't looked back.

Knee deep in a pandemic with just weeks to go before schools likely reopen, the importance of social and emotional learning opportunities has never been more important. Some might think the constraints of social distancing and minimizing shared supplies are crushing the potential of play in the classroom. While creativity will be crucial, play must go on. In fact, the opportunities to play must increase.

I am oddly excited to try new ideas and play possibilities. I feel that this whole new way of educating will be an opportunity instead of an obstacle. Now more than ever, harnessing the power of play and taking advantage of any outdoor opportunities are essential.

In October of 2021, I am happy to bring in my first professional book, tentatively entitled Teaching Off Trail, and published by Redleaf Press. Until then, I wanted to share just a sample of my favorite resources that guided me in my transformation. Enjoy!

Crisis in the Kindergarten : Why Children Need Play in School, Edward Miller and Jan Almon
When I first looked into changing the way I worked with kindergarteners, I cam across this journal. I'm glad I did. This book planted the seed of play in my head.

Play : How It Shapes the Brain, Opens the Imagination, and Invigorates the Soul, Stuart Brown M.D.

Once I realized bringing play back was the direction I wanted to take, I found some books that backed up the power of play with research and data.

The Power of Play : Learning What Comes Naturally, David Elkind Ph.D.
I enjoyed learning about the science behind the importance of play. This book validates and reinforces why play is essential.
Play at the Center of Curriculum, Judith Van Hoorn, Patricia Monighan Nourot, Barbara Scales, Keith Rodriguez Alward
Now that I had researched play and better understood the amazing impacts it can have in children, I sought out specific resources connecting play and school. This book hit home to me and affirmed the need to use play to enhance my kindergarten curriculum.

Free to Learn : Why Unleashing the Instinct to Play Will Make our Children Happier, More Self-Reliant, and Better Students for Life, Peter Gray
When I attended a nature-based early education conference, I was excited to learn more about how to use nature to enhance the educational experiences of my students. I left even more excited when I truly started to realize how the power of play and nature could join forces.

Adventure : The Value of Risk in Children's Play, Joan Almon
Of course, in researching nature pay, the concept of risks and hazards came to light This book described the differences and promoted the benefits of risky play.

Let the Children Play : How More Play Will Save our Schools and Help Children Thrive, Pasi Sahlberg and William Doyle
I loved how this book detailed play programs from throughout the world. It was wonderful to see the power of play in action, but also depressing to know that this country has a lot of work to do when it comes to utilizing play's potential. That is changing though!

The Power of Place : Authentic Learning Through Place-Based Education, Tom Vander Ark, Emily Liebtag,                    Nate McClennen

Focusing on inquiry and community, this book provided even more affirmations to my 4 P's philosophy. It's great to  make text connections to the work I am bringing to my school, district, and community 

The Playful Classroom : The Power of Play For All Ages, Jed Dearybury and Julie Jones Ph.D.
This amazing resource does a spectacular job of summing up the power of play by sharing ideas, activities, and inspiration. Truly, play should not stop when you get to school. This is where it should take off!

A Forrest Days Handbook : Program Design for School Days Outside, Eliza Minnucci and Meghan Teachout

When I was organizing my thought s for starting an outdoor program. I was fortunate enough to meet the author of this book. We connected before this book was written and I am honored to have her be  a part of my own book.
Nature-Based Preschool Professional Practice Guidebook : Teaching, Environment, Safety, Administration,                 Natural Start Alliance

Being one of the contributing writers, I may be a bit biased, but I think this final resource might be the best resource in the history of civilization. Seriously though, if you want to take your classroom outside but aren't sure how, this book is here to help.

There are so many other resources and books I could've added to this entry.  I am thankful for all the hard work done by each of these authors and writers. Their passion for enriching the playfulness of our educational system is needed, now more than ever. Maybe, just maybe, someone else down the line will be add my own book to a list like this. These books haver shaped my journey and molded my philosophy. I can't wait to share my story and can only hope it inspires someone in some tiny way.

No comments:

Post a Comment