Thursday, July 25, 2019

Citizen Science - Surveying Time


It ahs been a pleasure to be involved in Waukesha County's Conservation in the Parks citizen science program this year. Besides monitoring a wetland at a local preserve and monitoring nestboxes at my school's trail, my family has been able to attend a few surveying sessions. Besides learning some fun facts and getting outside, the teacher in me is always spinning ideas in my head about how I can incorporate this into my classroom and family nature club.



My eldest daughter and baby boy were able to attend a dragonfly and damselfly survey. Embry enjoyed being the official "releaser" of caught critters. I knew essentially nothing about these creatures before the survey and I now have some general information I can share with my own students.



I was introduced to so many new words and species. Blue dasher. Twelve-spotted skimmer. Saddlebags. Pondhawk. Green darner. Meadowhawk.



Arden enjoyed it as well, though the nets grabbed most of his attention.


We were especially excited to visit one of our favorite spots at the Retzer Nature Center: the pond.


Besides the dragonflies, we stopped  too see some of our favorite prairie plants.


Whether it be the compassplant, bergamot, or raspberries, we always take a opportunity to cherish the sights, smells, and occasional tastes of nature.


Of course, we can't leave Retzer without a rock hop.


The next day was a survey on small mammals, though we were initially distracted by a monarch caterpillar and milkweed beetle.


Once we got going, Embry was more then happy to help with the traps.



She enjoyed locating traps with conservation biologist and nature superhero, Julia.


Embry was really hoping for a raccoon. Maybe next time.😋

No comments:

Post a Comment